Universal Credit and Rent Changes – 01 April 2021

Universal Credit and Rent Changes – 01 April 2021

If you have been informed that your rent amount has recently changed and you claim Universal Credit, it is your responsibility to inform the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) of the change so that you continue to be paid the correct amount of housing element for payment to your rent.

Even if you have not heard from them you must ‘Report a Change’ to notify them of your rent increase, and this applies even if your rent is currently being paid direct to your landlord. You can do this via your online journal .

If you have a telephone claim, you will need to telephone Universal Credit to update your circumstances in the usual way immediately. Failure to report the change could affect your ongoing payments. Changes can only be backdated to the beginning of the current assessment period so you need to update your housing element (rent charges) now.

If you have any questions, or need help or support to adjust to the change please call the rents team on 0300 111 1133.

***If your income has been affected as a direct result of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and you are struggling to pay your rent please contact our dedicated Money Advice team us to discuss how we may be able to help with short term solutions***